This is Episode 72 of the Jesus Society Podcast. And we’re continuing our discussion today of the Lord’s Prayer, focusing today in on the first phrase — “Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.”
As I’ve said, the Lord’s Prayer is much more than just a quaint little, easy-to-memorize do-all prayer that’s useful to teach children. It’s deeply connected to the story of Israel and Jesus’ mission to rescue God’s people from evil for the sake of the world.
Join me today as we discuss:
1. The Jewish roots of understanding God as Father (Exodus 4:22-23)
2. Jesus and the New Exodus.
3. Intimacy and revolution.
4. The Lord’s Prayer as a package deal of Kingdom blessings.
5. The Fatherhood of God and the apprenticeship of his Son.
6. The bold audacity of calling God “Father” and what we’re signing on for.
7. Prayer as bringing together the pain of the world and the presence of the loving Creator.
As always, we’d appreciate it if you’d tell others about the podcast. If you enjoy the show, please subscribe, rate and review us on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, Amazon Music, and just about everywhere else.
Please visit us on our Facebook page for The Jesus Society Podcast (@JesusSocietyPodcast). We’ve also got a Facebook group for the Jesus Society Podcast. Also, check out our NEW website — thejesussociety.com.
And, as we continue to try and grow our audience, we’re currently loading all episodes of The Jesus Society podcast onto YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEy1ppP5RWd3jXPc6bI6WuQ/) and Odysee (https://odysee.com/@TheJesusSocietyPodcast:6). If you search for The Jesus Society Podcast on either YouTube or Odysee, you’ll find us.
Thanks for listening!
And remember, you are greatly loved.
Music and audio production by Nathan Longwell Music
Resources for Today’s Show:
1. N. T. Wright, The Lord and His Prayer. Williamm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2014. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0802871771/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_RHXQX5APEF2GBDQ8J00M)