This is Episode 70 of the Jesus Society Podcast. And today we’re going to begin a short series on the Lord’s Prayer.
I was told years ago by one of my early Bible instructors that the last great discipline a Christian masters is the discipline of prayer. I don’t think that’s a helpful statement, and here’s why: Because it portrays prayer as a task to be mastered, and by implication, that it’s not as effective as it’s supposed to be until we master it; or until we do it right.
We’ve got to get past thinking of prayer as some kind of incantation that we’ve got to say right in order for it to do its work.
Prayer is really very simply, communication — communication between two entities who love each other. And as I said in another podcast (link in show notes), we must think of prayer as dialogue, not just as monologue.
Join me today as we discuss:
1) Understanding the context of the Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13; Luke 11:1-4)
2) How we tend to pray the Lord’s Prayer backwards.
3) Some helpful guidelines to communicating with God in prayer.
As always, we’d appreciate it if you’d tell others about the podcast. If you enjoy the show, please subscribe, rate and review us on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, AND now also on Amazon Music.
Please visit us on our Facebook page for The Jesus Society Podcast (@JesusSocietyPodcast). We’ve also got a Facebook group for the Jesus Society Podcast. Also, check out our NEW website — thejesussociety.com.
And, as we continue to try and grow our audience, we’re currently loading all episodes of The Jesus Society podcast onto YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEy1ppP5RWd3jXPc6bI6WuQ/) and Odysee (https://odysee.com/@TheJesusSocietyPodcast:6). If you search for The Jesus Society Podcast on either YouTube or Odysee, you’ll find us.
And, if you’d like to support the show and our related ministry, click on the “Support TJS” link on the Jesus Society website to find out how (thejesussociety.com).
Thanks for listening!
And remember, you are greatly loved.
Resources for Today’s Show:
1. Looney Tunes: Abracadabra, I’m an Umpire! (https://youtu.be/NoSVnc-7eTk)
2. Growing in Intimacy with God: Does God Talk to Us? (https://thejesussociety.com/2020/05/04/growing-in-intimacy-with-god-does-god-talk-to-us-episode-11/)
3. Growing in Intimacy with God: Prayer as Dialogue (https://thejesussociety.com/2020/05/11/tjs-podcast-growing-in-intimacy-with-god-prayer-as-dialogue-episode-12/)
Music and audio production by Nathan Longwell Music