Today we’re going to continue talking about what happens when we die. We’ve talked about purgatory, and we’ve talked about paradise. Today I want to address the most difficult piece of this — hell.
And as I’ve said in each of the previous episodes in this series, it’s important that we get our thinking straight on all this, at least so we can quit worrying about what happens after death start paying a little more attention to what we do before death.
So join me today as we discuss:
1. Why the way we’ve been taught to read the Bible isn’t always helpful in topics such as this.
2. Where our modern idea of “hell” comes from.
3. Homer and Hades
4. Hell & the place called Gehenna
5. What Jesus was actually talking about (and that his hearers understood) when he talked about Gehenna.
6. What about the parable of the rich man and Lazarus?
7. How the evils of the 20th century have impacted our ideas of final judgment.
8. Three important New Testament affirmations about evil.
9. The long-term, dehumanizing results of a life spent in opposition to God.
10. The three traditional views of what final judgment might actually look like, and why each of them has significant problems.
11. Could a loving God actually torture people forever?
12. Another intriguing theory, that takes seriously all the biblical passages, and solves more problems than it creates.
13. A final reminder that the gospel message is one of absolute hope, rescue, and restoration.
As always, we’d appreciate it if you’d tell others about the podcast. If you enjoy the show, please subscribe, rate and review us on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Please visit us on our Facebook page for The Jesus Society Podcast (@JesusSocietyPodcast). And check out our website — https://thejesussociety.com/.
You can also find episodes of The Jesus Society podcast onto YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEy1ppP5RWd3jXPc6bI6WuQ/) and Odysee (https://odysee.com/@TheJesusSocietyPodcast:6). If you search for The Jesus Society Podcast on either YouTube or Odysee, you’ll find us.
Thanks for listening!
And remember, you are greatly loved.
Music and audio production by Nathan Longwell Music
Resources for Today’s Show:
1. N. T. Wright, Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWWBL24/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4DQ4CKBNJ3YRG44TN6NT)