This is Episode 82 of the Jesus Society Podcast. And today we’re gonna continue talking about following Jesus in the 21st century. And specifically we’re going to unpack the cross. And I’ve done some of this before. But I’m going to approach it a bit differently today. There are four big, overlapping Old Testament themes that converge in the cross of Jesus, and they’re all hugely important. And we have to talk about all four of those today.
So join me today as we discuss:
1. The compelling story of the cross.
2. What kind of victory was won by Jesus on the cross?
3. How western Christianity has sold ourselves short when it comes to the cross.
4. How the cross makes possible our priestly vocation in the world.
5. How the gospels have more to teach us about the meaning of the cross than we sometimes think.
6. How Jesus inaugurates the Kingdom of God on earth as in heaven through defeating the powers of evil.
7. How the cross redefines power.
8. The importance of the temple in understanding the cross.
9. Why Jesus chose the Passover as the time to die for the world.
10. Why the cross is about far more than just dealing with our moral failures.
As always, we’d appreciate it if you’d tell others about the podcast. If you enjoy the show, please subscribe, rate and review us on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts.
You can also find episodes of The Jesus Society podcast onto YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEy1ppP5RWd3jXPc6bI6WuQ/) and Odysee (https://odysee.com/@TheJesusSocietyPodcast:6). If you search for The Jesus Society Podcast on either YouTube or Odysee, you’ll find us.
Thanks for listening!
And remember, you are greatly loved.
Music and audio production by Nathan Longwell Music
Resources for Today’s Show:
1. The Jesus Society Podcast, Episode 7 (April 20, 2020) — The Story of the Bible – Part 7: What REALLY Happened on the Cross? (https://thejesussociety.com/2020/04/20/tjs-podcast-episode-7-the-story-of-the-bible-part-7-what-really-happened-on-the-cross/)
2. William D. Edwards, Wesley J. Gabel, and Floyd E. Hosmer, “On the Physical Death of Jesus Christ,” Journal of the American Medical Association (Vol. 255, No. 11, March 21, 1986), available at https://thejesussociety.com/2022/03/14/the-medical-side-of-the-crucifixion/