This is Episode 76 of The Jesus Society Podcast, today I want to revisit a subject most Christians have fussed about since the Reformation. And that is the idea of faith and works. This is not an unimportant topic, but I believe it has been polarized by the issues of the Reformation, and that polarization has caused us to lose sight of some things and to see both of these things with the clarity that Scripture demands. Those things are what I hope to try and sort out today.
Join me today as we discuss:
1. The briefest history of the Protestant Reformation.
2. The Protestant evolution and how these issues have played out over the last 500 years.
3. Understanding the “faith only” camp.
4. Understanding the “other” camp.
5. Two definitions of “faith.”
6. The biblical perspective on faith.
7. The biblical perspective of works.
8. The book of James to the rescue.
9. How the Enlightenment has caused us to obsess about the wrong things in this issue.
10. Faith and works – two sides of the same coin?
11. Some wise words from N. T. Wright.
As always, we’d appreciate it if you’d tell others about the podcast. If you enjoy the show, please subscribe, rate and review us on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, AND now also on Amazon Music.
Please visit us on our Facebook page for The Jesus Society Podcast (@JesusSocietyPodcast). And check out our website — https://thejesussociety.com/.
And, as we continue to try and grow our audience, we’re currently loading all episodes of The Jesus Society podcast onto YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEy1ppP5RWd3jXPc6bI6WuQ/) and Odysee (https://odysee.com/@TheJesusSocietyPodcast:6). If you search for The Jesus Society Podcast on either YouTube or Odysee, you’ll find us.
And, if you’d like to support the show and our related ministry, click on the “Support TJS” link on the Jesus Society website to find out how (https://thejesussociety.com/).
Thanks for listening!
And remember, you are greatly loved.
Music and audio production by Nathan Longwell Music
Resources for Today’s Show:
1. Matthew W. Bates, Salvation by Allegiance Alone: Rethinking Faith, Works, and the Gospel of Jesus the King (Baker Academic, 2017).
2. Matthew W. Bates, Gospel Allegiance: What Faith in Jesus Misses for Salvation in Christ (Brazos Press, 2019).